Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Punk band FEAR plays SNL in 1981

In case you need more reasons to admire John Belushi, he was a big fan of hardcore punk music during his triumphant days at Saturday Night Live, and because of his influence there, he was able to get the transgressive LA punk band, Fear, on the show. I guess I missed the show when it was on, but this footage makes me pine for the days of authentic subversive thought and rebellion in music. The band Fear is still around but I think only vocalist and guitar player Lee Ving is involved in the contemporary incarnation. Fear is the last band featured in the excellent punk documentary about the LA hardcore scene in 1980, The Decline of Western Civilization. If I had to peg this with a Frye-defined genre, I'd say it was ironic tragedy, right in there with cannibalism and the gnashing of the teeth.
Here's the link to the video.

1 comment:

Michael Filas said...

The link above has gone bad but here's a new one. I'll look for the second number which features slam dancers invading the stage and led to the show shutting down the live transmission. Oh punks, how you love to make trouble!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9dimh_fear-i-don-t-care-about-you-live-on_music